Elmo Doll

Daniel - Raymore, Missouri

I do not know that I have had an epiphany but I must tell you about an eye-opening experience that recently happened to me. This life that I am experiencing is hectic as it is with most people. There is plenty to cause consternation and upset. Recent personal life experiences such as job changes, moving to a new home, loss of close family members and if that isn’t enough–there are lots of world problems to keep your head turning. I find my nerves fraid and my patience short the last few months compared to the somewhat easy going way of my usual personality.

I have found that visiting my neice, who is not yet three, is enjoyable. Observing her boundless energy and inquisitive mind is not only heartwarming but renews some of my soured personality. She sometimes experiences upset when something does not go right so she turns to her Elmo doll for comfort. It calms her and makes most everything right in her world. Wow, how does that work I thought—and can I have an Elmo doll for myself?

The next day, after a troubling and trying day at work, I changed my route home and drove through the neighborhood that I grew up in. I had lived, grew up through all my school years and worked in the same area for about 30 years. Certainly, there are many changes over the years but it was still my old neighborhood that I was familiar with, recognized so many landmarks and had fond memories of. As I was leaving the area, I felt better about the world around me, I was not worried about little occurrences and issues of the day. It did not make me forget about everything in my life but it helped me feel better inside. There is the eye-opening experience. Did I just have my Elmo doll experience in driving around my old neighborhood that I have known for most of my life? I know there is some scientific explanation that psychologist, psychiatrists and the like could explain but all I know is that experiencing items that we recognize for the majority of our life and have good memories of can renew us and rejuvenate our lagging personality energy levels. Do you have an “Elmo doll”?