Racial Equalty

Sara - Chile
Themes: race

Every story starts somewhere, and my story starts in my childhood. I have always considered myself very fortunate; I live in a good house, was raised into a good family, never seem to be lacking food, and I am lucky enough to be sent to this school. Ever since I was very small, I felt I blended in perfectly into the Chilean community. I was always sent to the school psychiatrist to be asked why I felt how I felt, I still remember those questions clearly; “Did you make friends right away?” and “Have you ever felt different from other kids?” and they typical “Are you sure?” and “Really?” My answers have always been positive, but it was just in school where I felt safe and there wasn’t any kind of problem, whatsoever. As I was very small people would approach me with no kind of mean demeanor, in fact, I was even able to make a couple of friends within my neighborhood. Up to the age of 12, my life was very serene and simple, until my family and I moved to an area most common to Asian people, Las Condes.

Our house in our old neighborhood was very cold and isolated from the Korean society. My parents decided to move to where most of my family resided, which was Las Condes. I don’t know if things changed for good or not, but after I moved, I had lost all the friends I’d made during my childhood and I found myself even shier to Chileans than ever. My best friend in school was a Korean girl; even the music that I listened to was Korean only. Walking on the streets of my new neighborhood, I felt stared at almost if not all the time; by kids, their parents and even their dogs. Some would even make rude remarks about my appearance. Among those remarks are, “China cochina” (dirty Chinese), “go back to your country” and “ñoñoño”, which is an attempt to imitate Chinese. Through the years, I was able to learn how to verbally defend myself against Chilean depredators.

One day, not too long ago, I was walking down the street. I was on a hurry and was unable to but on my shoes well. A group of young and ignorant Chilean sixth graders were following me and taunting me. At first I had decided to ignore them and move on, but after a while, I decided to respond to their taunting. Due to certain circumstances, I will limit myself by saying that I was very harsh on my words and they weren’t too friendly about it. One particular boy stayed behind for no reason, and just when I thought I had the situation under control, the boy runs passed me and spits on my face. Although the feeling of rage and frustration was bulging through all my body, I could not run after him for I had not but on my shoes appropriately. I’d like to end my essay by saying that I believe in racial equality and that no matter where one is or where one comes from, everyone is a human and deserves to be treated equally.