I Believe in a Gift

Randy - LaGrange, Illinois

A good gift is something that should be used everyday since the day it was given. It should make you work but at the same time have a fun side to it. With certain gifts, come accomplishment and failure. The gift should be something that you receive or something you give. The greatest gift I have ever received was my trampoline. I believe in a gift.

In the summer of my seventh grade, 2007, my parents gave me a trampoline for my birthday. I had no idea that it was coming and I had no idea what a great gift it was going to be. I used my trampoline so much that summer I thought it was going to break. Every opportunity I had, any free moment of the day I was jumping on my trampoline. My parents believed that this was only going to be a fad, something that would blow over after the winter. They were wrong. As soon as I could get my jacket on it was right back to the trampoline. The next summer is when I started to explore into tricks. I finally accomplished the back flip. There was nothing like waking up in the morning and doing some back flips to start off the day. Then one cloudy afternoon, my friends and I wanted to experiment with my back flips. All the ideas were very stupid but it seemed like a good idea at the time. One of my friends had the grand idea of being a volunteer for me to do a back flip over. I guess since he was so confident in me, then I was confident in myself too. That stunt turned out well and no one got hurt. Unfortunately, we made a bad decision and pushed our luck. The new stunt was for me to back flip and before I hit the trampoline again I would catch a ball that was thrown to me. It went well the first couple times but I got caught up and nearly broke my neck the next time. I stretched many muscles in my neck and I wasn’t able to lift my head with experiencing extreme pain. I was so terrified I didn’t jump for a whole month. But just like everyone expected that next summer I was back doing twits, flips and all sorts of things.