Samantha - madison, Wisconsin

“There are moments in our lives when we find ourselves at a crossroad, afraid, confused, without a roadmap. The choices we make in those moments can define the rest of our days. Of course when faced with the unknown, most of us prefer to turn around and go back.” Lucas Scott from One Tree Hill once said this. I learned that you should always take advantage of the opportunities you are given because they may not be offered to you again. Taking a risk can be life changing, but we won’t know until we try. Life is too short to waste time or be afraid of new things. I believe that you should always live life to the fullest because you never know what day could be your last.

I never really realized how precious life was until a close friend of mine passed away. I remember sitting at my friend, Amy’s house, watching her log onto facebook. A friend’s profile caught our attention and Amy clicked on the link to browse their page. We found out that one of our friends had been hit by a car and killed instantly. We looked at each other in disbelief of what happened. Michael was always so optimistic and inspiring to everyone. We could not believe that someone so young and encouraging could have all of his dreams taken away in a heartbeat. Sadly, we will never know what great things Michael would have done with his life, but we do know that our memories of him will never die.

Michael’s death gave me a whole new outlook on life. It taught me to never take a day for granted. We have so much to live for and so much to experience. I would love to study abroad or even try sky diving. Sometimes you have to take risks to make your life worth living.

I also realized how drastically people’s values have changed. People use to value family, friendship and love. Now, our world has become so focused on materialistic things that people forget about enjoying time with others. We should remember to be thankful for our family and friends and always take advantage of our time with them. Never forget to tell someone how much they mean to you because you never know if you will get the opportunity again.

The death of a friend or family member can give anyone a new perspective. It has taught me to enjoy time with the people who mean the most to me. It makes me sad to see how twisted our world has become because of the media. People forget about what matters most in life: your family and your friends. I realize how lucky I am to have such a great family and friends and know I would be lost without them. I think sometimes everyone just needs a little reminder that the most important things in life and the key to truly being happy cannot be bought.