Twice in a lifetime

Jessica - Thornton, Colorado

I believe people get second chances in life, almost like twice in a lifetime. I believe this because my family and I have had that experienced. So when people ask me do you really believe that people get another chance in life, I say yes because of what we been through.

A lot of people have had the experience of being dead and coming back to life. My parents and I cheated death. The experience that impacted me the most was when my mom almost died. She had hernia 4 months after she had my little sister. She went to the hospital to get surgery .Once they put some pain killers to calm down the pain, my mom had a bad reaction to the medicine and she was dying. She died in an instant it didn’t even take five minutes for her to die. My dad panicked and he didn’t know what to do. He was just saying, “What’s going on? Do something! Why isn’t she awake anymore?” Help her out don’t just stand there?” So they got the shock paddles on my mom twice and she finally came back to life. My mom was very thankful that she came back, because she said that we still needed her. I asked my mom how it felt to come back and get a second chance she said that all she saw was a white light. She also said that she got a second chance for a reason.

Another person who got a second chance in life was my dad. My uncles and him where fixing a car. The truck was standard it would move out of nowhere sometimes that’s why they were fixing it, and all of a sudden it started moving. My dad was between the truck and another car. He could have moved, but my little cousin (five year old) at the time he was in the middle also. My dad moved him out of the way so he wouldn’t get smashed, but my dad did. They took my dad in an ambulance, and he was revived as well. This was another example that made me believe that people get a second chance in life.

The experience that really captivated our lives and made us believe in second chances was when my brother had three surgeries. When he was six months old, my brother had an esophagus that was out of place. In Mexico they told my mom that they weren’t going to take the risk of doing a surgery that my brother needed. They told my mom to let him die. So my parents had no idea what to do. They didn’t want my brother to die. They felt so bad for him; because he was weak he could barely open his eyes. My uncle told her to come to the United States, and that’s when we decided to come to the US. They did the surgery right away, and everything was ok. My brother is 16 now and is strong and tall.

The most important example that made me believe was my personal experience. I was about three or four years old when I had a seizure. I was dying; they told my mom and dad that I wasn’t going to make it. I had a second chance just like my parents did and my brother. I was revived by a vaccine. Once they put this on me I was good to go. The reason that I got the seizure was because I fell when I was trying to see my brother when he was in the hospital. After everything I was ok and it was like nothing ever happened to me. Thanks to all those experiences it made me believe that people get to live twice in a lifetime and people get second chances.