Always There For Me

Eric - Beaverton, Oregon

I believe in my parents.

It’s kind of corny, I know, but it’s also the truth. They’ve been there for me since the day I was born. Hell, they’ve been there for me since the second I was born.

My Mom is this happy little woman who’s always there to give out a hug if you need one and some chicken soup if you’re sick. She has her own business and she works out of our home so I got to spend a lot of time with her as I was growing up. In all honesty there might have been times when she got under my skin a little bit, but that’s not exactly earth shattering on any account. I can see the headlines now, “Breaking News: Mother irritates son!” Give me a break. But no matter what we went through my mother has always been there for me. Even when I was being a whinny little teenage brat, and I’m sure I was a few times, she would always help me out if I got into any trouble, and I love her for that.

My Dad has always been my hero. A lot of people might say that America’s Firefighters or Police men are their heroes or something like that. Whatever, mine has always been my dad. He has gotten up every day and gone to work to ensure a comfortable life for his family and a good education for his children. Because he was always working so hard I sometimes missed his company as I was growing up. But on those Saturday mornings when I walked into the family room and he was already reading the mail or the newspaper in his favorite chair and he says good morning, or when we go golfing together on Sunday afternoons, or when I ask him how his day was when he gets home from work I am reminded of how much I love my dad.

While I was growing up I made a few dumb mistakes, and every time I fell and skinned my metaphorical knee my parents were there with a tube of Neosporin and a band-aid. And I know that they will continue to be there, that’s why I love them.

As I write this essay I’m sitting in the dorm room of the private college that I’m lucky enough to attend. And the only reason that I have the opportunity to sit here is because of the sacrifice and effort that my parents have put forward. So thank you Mom and Dad, thank you for the opportunity to become the best version of myself that I can become. I will always love you for it.