University of Notre Dame academic standards

Ben - toledo, Ohio
Themes: place, sports

On September 6, 2008, I went to my first University of Notre Dame football game. I have been a huge fan my whole life, but was never able to see a game in person. My father is a Michigan fan, and tried to raise me that way. For some reason, against my fathers wishes, i became a Notre Dame fan. I really have no good reason why, i didn’t have a single family member that was a Notre Dame fan, I guess it was just Divine Intervention. The Campus was breathtaking, and the pageantry before the game was amazing, I am more of a fan now than ever before. The atmosphere was electric, the season was beginning for Notre Dame, at Notre Dame and I was there. There was just one thing missing, a complete blowout to a seemingly lesser team in San Diego State. During the game i did not see the nations most explosive running back, the biggest most ferocious linebacker, or even the fastest secondary. I saw a struggling team just past meritocracy. When high school phenomes look to what college they want to play ball at, education is probably the last thing they are looking for. Notre Dame is ranked 17th in the Nation as an academic college, including Ivy league schools and MIT. To a struggling high school student, who has a ton of physical talent but has never been pushed in school because of their physical gifts,this does not look very attractive. Notre Dame holds their athletes to much higher standards that other Universities. The school knows that it hurts their recruiting but have higher goals for their students, and this i believe is very admirable, and overlooked. Although i may not see a National championship any time soon from my Fighting Irish, i will continue to be a die hard fan of their athletics and academics.