A treasured possession: family

Rachel - Chandler, Arizona

I believe in families. Families are one of the most influential aspects of a person’s life. They are there for you in every situation. They can be an anchor to hold you through the many storms of life. Families can also bring great joy and encouragement as well. My family has been more than I could ever have wished for, and that is why I say a family is the greatest thing someone can have.

Inspirational, goal-achiever, hard worker and father are some of the many words that come to mind when I think of my dad. “Nothing in life is free”, he has said, and because of that, he knows that if he wants something he will have to work for it, and in this case it meant and continues to mean his career, marriage and family. This is an aspect that I have taken from his life and applied to mine: everything of value in life will take a lot of patience and hard work.

For me, family has always meant somewhere I can go when I need encouragement, a shoulder to lean on or just a person who listens to me. For me, my mother has been this to me. I can remember from an early age sitting with her and talking. Sometimes it would be serious, and other times our conversations were light and playful times when I could just laugh, and relax. My mom’s loving care has nurtured me into who I am today and it continues to be a great anchor in my life.

I can say personally that the difficulties and hardships that our family has experienced, have been the key to making our family bond as strong as it is today. It is a known fact that gold put into fire is always purer at the end than at the beginning. In the same way, families that stick things out have a tendency to grow closer and more supportive than ever before. Moreover, I believe that the biggest factor to the success that my family has had is that we have a deep-rooted faith in Jesus Christ. Christianity is not just a “religion” to us, but a relationship with God. He has been our underlying strength. Though the difficulties come, many times when we least expect it, we have stood strong and grown together with Jesus as our focus.

Families come at a high price, but are one of the most precious and important things in life. Through difficulties and in hardships we have continued on, with our faith keeping us all the way. It has come with a price but has been the joy of my life and I pray will continue to be as well. Through hardships and trials, joys and laughter, I have seen our family develop into something rare and beautiful-something I believe in and something that everyone should have.