Do you believe?

JP - Modesto, California

I believe that the institution of Marriage is sacred: that it was established by God; that it is Holy; that a man and a woman enter into a covenant with our creator when they join together as a Husband and a Wife. I believe that with all my heart, mind, spirit and strength. I also believe that my religious freedoms are being compromised right before my eyes. In my Bible, in gospel of Mathew, Chapter 19, Verses four through 6 it states:

“Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,” and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? “So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

This November in California there is a Proposition to remove the “right” for a same sex couple to marry. As you can probable predict, I intend to vote yes on Proposition 8. The reason for my positive vote is not due to any Political Party affiliation; I am non-partisan. It is not because I do not love Homosexuals; I love them as brothers and sisters in Christ. It is not because I am an extremist; I am a main stream moderate. The reason I am voting yes on Proposition 8 is because I am protecting my rights and beliefs as a God loving, Non-Denominational, Judeo-Christian husband, father and friend who wishes to preserve traditional family values for my children and their children and so on. This is my legacy. The gift I wish to leave them is the institution of Marriage as my Lord created it. It’s as simple as that. I do not intend to offend anyone; I also hope and pray that no one will force their intentions on me or my family.

So I ask you; “…choose this day whom ye will serve; as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord” (Joshua 24:15). “But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do” (James 2:18).

On every US Treasury note it states “ In God we trust.”

Please join with me in voting Yes on Proposition 8.

JP Hurlbert,

Husband, Father, Friend