Northern Pike

Chase - Pleasantville, Iowa
Themes: family, nature, place

I believe in Northern Pike. When I was 10 years old my grandpa and grandma told me that I was getting the privilege of going to Canada with them and my sister, Lindsay, who at that time had been going for about 5 years. I was so excited for this fishing vacation. It would be my first vacation and my first time leaving my parents.

My grandpa Bob said that we would be gone for a week and there was no coming back just because I was home sick. I did not care about that because I wanted to spent time with my grandparents which at the time I did not get to do. I loved hanging with my grandpa; he seemed to know everything about anything. When we finally left for Canada I got to sit in the front passenger seat next to grandpa Bob and I felt like I was on top of the world. We sang so many George Jones songs that they were tattooed in my brain. Until then I had never spent quality time with my grandpa.

When we arrived at the cabin in Canada we immediately unloaded the boat and went fishing. I was amazed and at the same time scared that we were floating on water. I got over being scared because I knew that I would be just fine with my grandpa.

We fished every day and after we were done for the day my grandpa and I would go to clean the fish that we caught. He was the great at cleaning fish and tried to teach me but I didn’t like to touch the fish. He was always teaching me different things whether my parents approved of it or not. He would spoil me with his love and I adored it. After we got back I wanted to spend all of my free time with him. After my sports practice I would go over to my grandparent’s house and just talk and spend time with them. I had some of the greatest moments in my life at their house.

I would end up going to Canada with them for the next 7 years and I will never forget the moment spent with my grandparents. During my junior year of high school my grandpa bob was diagnosed with diabetes. It was hard on the whole family but not as hard when he was later diagnosed with a brain tumor. He ended up getting it removed but the doctors said that he wouldn’t live much longer. We would go on one last trip to Canada and it was the best vacation I will ever go on.

I regret not spending more time with my grandpa but I know he loved me. So I want everyone to believe in Northern Pike.