I Believe in Boomerangs

Abbey - Des Moines, Iowa

I believe in boomerangs because I am one. I was thrown out on my own path and then I came back. What I’m referring to is my college career, my education in general. I wasn’t one of those kids who had it easy in school. I was teased and tormented for as long as I could remember and it made me hate school. By the time I got to high school, I hated school even more. My classmates made my learning experience unbearable and the teachers didn’t care enough to do anything about it.

My sophomore year in high school, I lost my older sister in a car crash and my whole world just came crashing down. Of course it didn’t stop my classmates from continuing to make my life miserable. The year after my sister’s death, my mother got very sick with ulcerative colitis and spent the next year in and out of hospitals for surgeries and general medical needs, and still my high school career couldn’t get any worse, right? Eventually, I did what I could do to just get by and I let whatever happened happen. I did manage to make it through high school, but I only graduated in the lower quarter in my high school class of about 300 students.

At the insistence of my parents, (both educators by the way) I went to college. I wanted to go as far away as I could, but I only ended up about thirty minutes from where we live. College was a whole new ball game and although I didn’t have the same issues as I had in high school, because of my lack of caring and learning in high school, I was completely unprepared for how to handle the stress of college life. I tried for a bit, but then just gave up. I went to class if I felt like it and rarely ever did homework or studied for tests. I just wasn’t ready for the seriousness that college demands. I did manage to have a few decent semesters where I earned some credits but after my first two years, I was still a freshman and only had about twenty college credits behind me.

After all of that, I decided to take some time off and see where I stood in life and see who I was. I needed to find myself and figure out a few things. I got a job working in a local factory and although I hated it, it taught a lot about myself and about life. I spent about a year there before I realized that I was ready to go back to college. I immediately began saving up as much from my paychecks as I could so that I could pay for a semester on my own. After nine months in the factory, I had saved enough money to quit my job and go back to school.

In the spring of 2004, I went back to college. I took three courses and managed to do pretty well in them. I ended up with a 2.6 GPA and although it wasn’t great, it wasn’t bad for my first time back. After that I said to myself that I would keep going and keep trying and that I wouldn’t give up anymore. I was going to finish and going to get a degree and make myself and my family proud of me. Four years later, I’m finally senior in college and next spring I’m going to graduate with two degrees. It hasn’t been easy, starting all over and trying to get somewhere from no where, but I’ve managed to do it.

I am a boomerang. I was thrown out and I came back. I didn’t come back to where I started or where I was thrown out from; I came back on my own terms, in my own time. I managed to do something I never thought I’d do. I’m going to graduate college. I know I let people throw me out and cast me aside, but just like boomerangs, I made my turn around and came back. Only now I’ve come strong. I am a boomerang. I believe in boomerangs.