I Believe Small Is Mighty

Robert - Des Moines, Iowa

I Believe

I believe small is mighty. If you picture a middle school student that was the smallest in his class going out for football, what would you think? Would that be a good choice for him to go out for that sport? Or you may think he is a bit insane, because of his body frame. As you would know that person was me. I never knew the sport of football until my uncle really introduced it to me. I didn’t know what size you had to be or anything like that. All I knew was that I was really dedicated and had a lot passion for it. There were a lot of inspirations in my life that kept me in football.

Many inspirations made a big impact in my life, but a person that has made me really believe that football is made out for everybody, no matter how big or small you are. That athlete was Bob Sanders for the Indianapolis Colts.

I’ve been through a lot from when I first started playing football until now. When I first started playing it was during the sixth grade, and the size doesn’t really show until you get to high school. My first year on varsity in high school was my sophomore year. I was picked on and tested by every team that season. After the season, I worked out hard and conditioned myself so I wouldn’t have the same season I had before. I went into my first game thinking I was unstoppable and that I could take anyone who stepped across from me. People thought it was impossible for me to play at the high school varsity level. I proved everyone wrong and at the end of my junior and senior year I ended up making first team defense.

Getting to college level of football, the level of competition was even better and the other players were bigger than me. The only thing I going for myself was my speed. So I thought to myself that the speed that I had could help me with my strength and power. It took a while for the coaches to see what kind of football player I was, but it finally came to them that I was real physical and smart as football player so I ended up starting my second year in college. As a junior in college, I’m starting as a safety at a new football program in Iowa. Whoever said size didn’t matter? I believe small is mighty.