Being Ready

Sarah - Ames, Iowa
Themes: carpe diem

Ever since I was young we’ve heard our parents say, “Hurry up, we’re going to be late.” Or if you were in sports, the coach always told us, “being on time is being late, but being early is being on time.” We are socially disciplined in being ready, ready to go, ready to do the next thing. It’s been beneficial for me in the long run, it’s our responsibility to be on time to things but what about things that are out of our control. I believe in being ready.

When I was in junior high my dad had a heart attack. It really took me off guard, I didn’t know what was going to happen, and so I played it off as if it were a cold or something. He was always strong and able to do anything, so I figured he could be super hero again and this wouldn’t phase him. Obviously, this was more serious than a cold and he is still living today but I was not ready to lose him. Looking back on that particular situation, it took my relationship with my father for granted. It really taught me a valuable lesson. Although there was nothing I could do to prevent my dad from having a heart attack, I think It’s important to be ready, not saying we should live our life in fear but to live our life being thankful. There are so many things we can be thankful for, and one of those is being thankful for the people in our lives.

In my experience life has come at me fast. We’re never guaranteed tomorrow nor can we go back to our past and change it. I believe in the importance of being ready. Being ready to face our weaknesses, being read to rejoice, and being ready to take on the unexpected things in our day.

There are so many things that I struggle with, things I hate admitting ultimately because that means I have to knock down my pride. It’s hard for a lot of people to admit their weakness, but I think its good to be ready because it makes us stronger. We all at some point or another will face weaknesses and it’s important to know how to be ready to take them on.

It’s so easy for me to get caught up in my business of life and the distractions that I forget to enjoy life. I think it’s really important to be ready to rejoice in living and rejoice in things that can be so easy to forget about. Like I mentioned earlier I take for granted people and my friendships. There are other things like even going to school. I spend a lot of my hours at times grumbling and moaning about school but in all actuality I should be rejoicing because not too many people can go. The last thing that I think is important is being ready to take on the unexpected.

I believe in being ready. I believe that being ready to face things we struggle with, being ready to not look at our past and regret it, and being ready to take on things we haven’t ever faced before because ultimately it’s huge character building. It shows a lot about who you are when under those types of circumstance.