I Believe in Karma

Susan - LaGrange Park, Illinois

I Believe in Karma

If you do good things in life, good things will happen to you. One day, many years ago, my dog Roxanne ran away from home. She wasn’t the smartest dog, but my family and I were hoping that she’d be able to find her way back based on her instincts. We tried everything. My parents went looking for her for hours at a time asking around if anyone had seen our dog. My brother and I even made “Lost Dog” posters with Roxanne’s picture on it and put them up in our neighborhood. Nothing seemed to be working. Days and days went by and she still had not come back home. I decided that I was going to go find her myself. I grabbed a leash optimistically and took a walk around the block. I didn’t find my dog, but what I did end up finding was someone else’s lost dog. It was a Labrador that looked vaguely familiar. The dog seemed friendly so I looked at the tags on the collar and the address was a house a few blocks down the street. I put the leash on the dog and for a short while, it felt like I had never lost my dog and I was just taking her for another walk. This is the house I thought, as I rang the doorbell. A woman answered and saw me with her dog. She was so happy and relieved at the same time. I took the dog off the leash and she thanked me. I was glad someone else could have there dog again even if it wasn’t me. I told my mom about what happened on my walk and she said I did a nice thing by returning the dog to its owner. The next day, outside my house, was Roxanne! She had found her way back home! My mom told me that this was called karma. I didn’t understand what that meant, but I do now. This experience made me believe in karma. When you do something good, good things happen to you. In the words of Justin Timberlake, what goes around, comes around.