Sand is Forever

Mark - Des Moines, Iowa

I believe in sand. Sand is always there where you left it. It can’t tell the time and it doesn’t wait for the seasons to change. It doesn’t count on other people to do something. Sand is forever lasting, always patient and calm. Sometimes the trust you can put in people is easily replaced with small innuendoes and throughout time is forgotten but the trust is still broken.

Looking for answers isn’t something sand does, it takes that bad in with the good and lives with it. While we see many different actions and emotions throughout our lifetime it’s the ones we choose to act on that make us, us. Sand doesn’t fight back when we polluted its water; it only sits by and watches. If we let everything around us just happen without acting we wouldn’t be any better than the sand that just stood by and watched it. Taking actions in ways that help better someone else is making a difference in more than one way.

At the age 20 I realize that going to college isn’t just affecting me, it affects my twin in his decisions. Also affecting my two little brothers who are in junior high and high school, by seeing that their older bother can do it, that they to can do it. It affects all my friends that are around me, and even my friends affecting me to help get through college times. Sand isn’t just sitting on the beach for events to pass, nor is it counting the apples that fall from each tree, it is a reminder for our past and present and what is to come.

I am no atheist, nor do I proclaim myself to any religion, my family is not religiously devoted, we do not go to church every Sunday. Where as my friends and people around me may believe in what I may or may not I do not question their sacred beliefs that challenge their daily routines. Sand does not ask what we pray to, nor does sand believe in fairy tells, but it does know that water comes and goes along with the sun and the stars. Day by day things happen that science can explain, but sand doesn’t care about the explanation just that it happened. I believe in sand because its emotions are undefined and illiterate.