I Believe

Joe - Des Moines, Iowa
Themes: Christianity

I Believe

I believe that Jesus Christ is the light. There are many ways that I can start to explain that He’s the light but the most obvious one is the fact that I’m alive right now. This might be a sensitive topic to most people especially to ones that do not believe in Christ. I have been a believer since I was young. I was raised a believer and had to continue with the same spirit. My mom is a Christian and it was a routine for us as a family to go to church every Sunday. We as a family were involved in the church. My brother was in charge of the electronics, my sister was in the choir and I was in charge of welcoming people to the House of God.

When I say that Jesus is my light I really mean it coz he has taken me places that I did not ever thing I would go. I’m from Africa and to travel out of Africa is a difficult situation. If you want to travel anywhere outside Africa, you will have to have a passport while is Hell to get it. For example it took me a whole year for me to get my passport. I had to sign a lot of confusing paperwork, travel to a different city and all the things that came with it like money. Then after the stressful time trying to get your passport, you have to get a Visa for the country you want to visit. It’s a stressful situation. For my case I was so lucky because it took me one try to get my Visa. I have seen and heard stories that people have gone to the Embassies and then have been denied the Visa. For example my cousin has been denied to enter the US nine times and each time you apply for the Visa it cost you about 800-900 US dollars. This is a very stressful time because it’s difficult to get that kind of money especially in Africa where the unemployment rate is going up every year.

I had an opportunity to come to the States and through His blessings I made it hear safe and sound. He has been taking me places that I used to see on TV and some times I even thing that am dreaming. I did not imagine sometime I will drive my own car and buy my own stuff. People do not realize that some things are not supposed to be taken for granted. Have faith and stick to what you believe.