Kacie - Nevada, Iowa

In May I took a job as a Pharmacy Technician thinking that I could learn a lot from the experience that may better me as a well-rounded individual. I was right, I have learned a lot but it wasn’t about what I expected. Overnight I became a human punching bag, dodging glares and raised tones. As with all other customer service jobs, I have become a target for the publics truly unsightly attitudes. This is why, I believe that you’re bad day should not have to become my bad day.

As people get angry about their medication not going through insurance, I keep a helpful smile on my face and a cheerful tone in my voice while inside I’m raging. For the most part, probably 80% of their anger is about nothing I, personally, have done but still I take the blame and frustrations. With all of the rude remarks, glares, foot tapping, and outright yelling I leaving work emotionally drained and exhausted.

Thankfully, every day is not like this, it takes one person to make you truly appreciate how far a smile and an understanding can go. I continually have one man come in to our store, and every time we have major problems with his insurance costing him a lot of time and money. I sympathize with any frustrations that I am sure he has, but he does not show an ounce of it. It never fails; he walks in with a smile, jokes around with our staff, and is willing to give us time to work out the kinks. Not only that, he says “Thank you for all of your help.” Just like that, someone can turn my day around.

I don’t think that most people in this society realize how they treat people working in customer service. Transferring your bad mood on to me does not get you in and out of here any faster, although I wish it would. It takes just as much effort to put a smile on and be kind spirited, so why not do it?

Before I took this job, I did not take notice to how I was coming across to the cashier at the grocery store, or the paper boy, or any others that I come to meet on the street on a daily basis. I now smile, and show genuine kindness to everyone that I meet no matter what kind of day I’ve had or what goes wrong during an encounter. I have learned a valuable lesson and I think it tells a lot about someone’s character. Next time you are out to dinner with a new date, or a friend, or whoever, notice how they treat the host or the waitress, you can learn so much by that simple interaction.