I Believe in Sugar!

Stephanie - USA
Themes: death, family

I Believe…

I believe in Sugar.

Sugar was a woman people admired. She is the woman I want to be. Her life was about being a servant, she loved God with her whole heart and it showed. The life she led was an example of what a true Christian should be. Sugar is my great grandmother; she passed away July of this year. When I think of sweet, pure sugar, and what it does, it ads that extra bit of perfection that makes everything better.

My great grandfather “Grandpy” used to say she was “as sweet as sugar,” and the name stuck. Not only was Sugar sweet, she was also a very hard working woman. She loved to cook, she would be in the kitchen 24/7 if she could and she pretty much was. I remember when I would go to my grandparent’s house for detassling and everyday after I would get off the bus there would be a four course meal sitting on the table. After dinner I would go over to Sugar’s house and watch Doris Day movies with her, while I would lie on the couch and she would crochet. As the movie would play I would look back at her and she would be sleeping. I would say, “Sugar!” and her head would pop up and she would say, “Huh? What’s going on?”

Every time I would go see her she would be so excited and then yell at me that I needed to call her more. She would always sit me down at the kitchen table and ask me how my classes were going, and tell me she was praying for me everyday. When I would tell her that everything was going well her eyes would swell up with tears and she would know that her prayers have been working.

I love Sugar with all of my heart. Now that she is gone life gets harder and harder everyday. She was my rock, I knew when I needed someone to talk to she would always be there. I could tell her things that I couldn’t even tell my own mother. She would just sit there and not say a word, but listen. When Sugar began to lose her sight it was the worst thing in the world for her. She loved to cook and now that her eyesight was gone her cooking was limited. It still amazed me even though she couldn’t see she would still cook and the food was just as good as when she could see. I will remember how Sugar’s presence warmed up a room so fast and now that she is gone the memories of her are still in my heart.