Planning Ahead

Bryan - Corona, New York

Hi, my name is Bryan N– and I am here to speak to you about a belief that I personally hold to be true and that I see as a very essential tool which I have used for most of my life. I believe that if one was to constantly plan his or her actions ahead of time, that person would help lessen the margin for error in the future; and in addition, will be more prepared to overcome any obstacles thrown their way. Planning ahead is about preparing for the future now. If someone is not prepared to handle what the future may bring, they may very easily find themselves having to handle a situation on the spot. In many occasions, this may lead to bad decisions with even worse consequences. I know from firsthand experience that last minute planning can become very overwhelming and extremely stressing. However, this is something that can easily be avoided, and I have come to understand that even more during my years as an SU student.

When looking back on the past, I realize exactly how essential planning in advance has been for me throughout my life. From the more minute things, such as deciding on how much stamina I should save up for my 2nd lap in an 800 meter race, to longer term challenges such as deciding on how many days I need to put into studying for an Accounting final, planning ahead has always proved to be a very effective means of overcoming many of the various obstacles that I have come across. However, even though this is such an important concept to me now, it has not always been this way. There were many occasions in the past where I had run into situations that were too complex for me to handle without some kind of strategy going into them. I found myself having to improvise my way out, and in many instances, coming out unsuccessful and regretting my spur-of-the-moment decisions. Soon it became clear to me that all I really had to do to avoid these instances was take time off to think ahead. Regardless of whether it is a short-term or long-term situation, it does not hurt to just stop and think ahead to what’s to come and plan your future actions accordingly. In the end, it can only increase your chances of success; and if a certain strategy doesn’t go well, you can always look forward to using a different one the next time around.