I believe in Glue

Lindsy - Des Moines, Iowa

I believe in glue

In every family there is that one person who stands out from everyone. This person could be a mom, dad, aunt, uncle, sister, brother, or cousin. To me this person is the one everyone in the family talks too and also the one who brings the family together. They always seem to have the right answer for everything. If something goes wrong they are the first one on the seen trying to fix things or their trying to help figure something out. It’s amazing how much you don’t pay attention to the things they do until it’s too late.

My mother was the glue in my family, while I was growing up. She was always the one who brought our whole family together for family dinners and family vacations/getaways. When anyone needed to talk, advice, or anything else, she was the one to help or give a lending hand. Everything was great until she passed away from breast cancer. My whole family lost something that day and it was the glue that held our family together. After her passing everything was different, we all fell apart and nothing was what it used to be.

My family stopped getting together or when we did it wasn’t like before. There was no life in the activities that we did as a family anymore. Nobody tried to take her place or wanted to for that matter. My family barley sees each other now except maybe for a special occasion like a wedding or maybe on the holidays. Its like nobody cares anymore about what is happening around us. I know everyone sees that it’s not like it used to be, so yes I believe in Glue.

There is always that one person in each family that seems to be the glue that brings everyone together and is there for everyone when needed. As the 9th year anniversary is rolling towards us I stop to think where and what we would be doing right now if she was still here with us today. But really that has no relevance to my life today because she is not here and all I can do is wonder. So yes I believe in glue, I believe that every family has that one special person whether they know it or not that holds and brings the family together. As for my family we have lost that glue but that doesn’t mean somebody else won’t step up and become that glue once again.