Dogs Are People Too.

Tiffany - West Des Moines, Iowa

I was looking into my dogs eyes the other day and thought to myself, “Does she really understand what I’m saying?” I believe that dogs are people too. I believe that every single person that has a so called “mans best friend” can agree with me when I say that your furry, four legged friend has feelings.

It was the day of my graduation party when my mother came to me and gave me the choice between 3 objects, a new car, laptop, or a puppy. I had to think about it for about half a second when I immediately blurted out puppy. I already knew exactly what kind I wanted and what I was going to name her. The very next day I found the ad in the newspaper for a Chihuahua mix mini pincher and I was ecstatic. My mother and I drove down to Des Moines that day and found the house in the newspaper. We walked up to this very dirty, scary house and all you could hear was a lot of dogs barking. When we got into the house it smelled so bad and there she was, my little Roxy staring up at me from a playpen filled with other breeds of puppies. I could tell we were meant to be together the moment I laid eyes on her.

She fit into my family right away. My dad wasn’t too fond of the idea of getting a puppy but in the end he fell in love. She responded to her name almost instantly and she knew what you were telling her. I would say “potty” and she would run to the door knowing she was going to the bathroom. When I would say “treat” or “time to eat” she knew automatically what she was getting. She has gotten so used to me and my sisters schedule that she knows how late to sleep in and when bed time is. At times I think to myself, “How could I ever live without her?” She is definitely spoiled and she acts that way to. Everybody tells me that she is a spoiled brat and that she gets everything she wants its true. She has more clothes than I do and I give her food off of my plate and take her to movies and well, pretty much everywhere I go, but you have to admit everybody that owns a dog spoils them in some sort of way whether attention or clothes.

In a way we do treat our animals like humans we talk to them, we feed them human food every now and then and most sleep with them in their beds. Dogs know when they get hurt and they can tell when you are hurt. They react just like humans do, they want to comfort you and make you feel better as you would do for them. They almost act like a 2 year old child. They cry when they get left behind or don’t get the attention they desire, they eat, poop, sleep and leave toys lying all around the house.

When I think about moving onto campus I can’t even imagine a day without her. She goes home to my mom’s house for a couple days and its so quiet and lonely here. It’s always nice coming home and having someone so excited to see you no matter how much of a bad day you had. Dogs should be treated with the respect that every human gets. Why else do you think they call them “mans best friend”? Dogs ARE people to no matter how much you think they are just animals.