What I Believe About Life Decisions

Alexander - Raleigh, North Carolina

Have you ever been asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” some may have answered president of the United States or a doctor. What I believe the question should be is “How can you be successful when you grow up.” I believe life isn’t about getting what you want if it was I would have failed at life along time ago but instead how can I make best of what I was given.

I have come to think of life almost as a game of cards. You are given a hand of cards if you have really good cards and you play them wrong you will be less successful than someone with really bad cards playing them wisely. For me I wasn’t given the best hand, but I am learning to play them wisely. I have learned if I base my life on getting the good hand that I want I will either not be able to get it, or get it and possibly play them wrong, But if I base my life on playing my cards wisely, if I get good or bad cards I can still win.

I think people often set goals based on what they want without thinking of how practical it may be for them. I personally think I should set goals based on what I can achieve not what I want to achieve. I have some mental disorders where my medicine

can only do so much (although it does help me significantly) because of this I am given the lower hand so I have to focus on playing my cards wisely. I have had to disclude jobs I would have liked because of my disabilities. Instead I focus on jobs more in my reach.

I think that life is not about getting the cards you want like your dream job or fancy house even though those are nice to have and you might get them. But looking at the cards you have whatever they may be and playing them wisely. Life isn’t about getting what you want, it is making the best of what you have, and can have this is what I believe.