Participating in the Dream

Mollie - Union Gap, Washington

I have been listening with interest to the political contest which has been going on for the last 12 or so months.

It seems to me that there is so much spin by the political analysts and naysayers that it is easy lose sight of what is actually happening.

Every four years the United States participates in and sees the affirmation and perpetuation of the founding fathers original dream.

I had the privilege of going to the National Archives and see the Declaration of Independence. I have never been prouder of being an American than when I stood before the Declaration of Independence and realized that I am a beneficiary of the great “dream” that is contained in that document.

My paternal grandparents were immigrants from Eastern Europe who came to the United States in 1918 at the end of WWI. I remember hearing my grandmother talk about how wonderful it was to be in a country where we are allowed to help shape the way we are allowed to live our lives.

Our political process though sometimes distorted and degraded is a direct result and continuation of the “dream” that built this great country and every four years I get to help keep the “dream” alive by participating in the national elections that occur the first Tuesday in November.

I feel privileged to be a part of the process and I appreciate that I have a role in keeping the “dream” alive.