I believe in Pokemon

Mac - LaGrange, Illinois

Pokémon was one of the defining cultural icons of our generation. It brought together families and friends. Brothers and sisters play the game together, they talk about strategy and levels, they battle each other in the Game boy games. They may think that they are just playing together but really they are building strong bonds that will last for the rest of their lives. Pokémon defined who we are as people and molded the rest of our lives.

Pokémon gave us goals as kids. From the age of 7 until about 12 I seriously thought that I could catch them all. We all used to have those cards, and everyone had them, we would trade our Pokémon. This gave us a better understanding of how the real world worked, you had to give something cherished if you wanted to get something better. We learned about other people’s wants and how to use our speaking skills to get what we wanted from each other instead of fighting. I used to have this huge neighbor when I was about 8 or 9 years old. He was older than me and probably had a good 6 or 7 inches and 50 or 60 pounds on me. At first he used to try and push his weight around with me always trying to mooch off of me and get what he wanted. Well one time we were playing with our Pokémon cards and he saw it, my level 50 Blastoise in mint condition. It was my favorite card but right at that moment it had become his favorite too. So once again he threatened to beat me up if I didn’t give him the card but I wasn’t willing to just give it away without trying something. So I used the skills that a few years of trading Pokémon cards had taught me and bargained my way out I showed him that I had a second Blastoise except this one was Japanese and also very shiny, but it wasn’t worth as much. So I told him that he could have the card if he traded me his Charizard, he was so caught up in the trading that he forgot about his threat to beat me up and I got a Charizard out of the deal while only trading away a cheap imitation of a Blastoise. After that he never threatened to beat me up again because we would always play Pokémon.

Thus I believe in Pokémon it taught our generation how to bargain and trade, how to be amiable towards one another instead of , and in the end, I didn’t get beaten up.