The Influence of Music

Lauren - Winchester, Virginia

I believe very stongly in the power of music to influence people’s lives. Dictionary.com defines music as “an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.” The path I have chosen in this world is that of Opera performance. I live and learn through music, and it certainly has power over me. Where not everyone can perform music, a smaller amount of people can read music, and an even smaller amount still can compose music, everyone in the world can listen to music. It is recognized all over the world, and it has the ability to bring people together in times of joy, tragedy, war, and peace.

As someone who understands both the simplicity and the complexity of music, I am very opinionated as to what makes music “good” or in better words, worth listening to. Composers such as Vivaldi, Mozart, and many others helped to define music of their generations. Everyone knew and appreciated the works they composed, and a great number of people still find the time to appreciate it. In the rock and roll era, The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Jimi Hendrix, and Led Zeppelin started revolutions in their own ways. These artists each helped to shape today’s music. Other artists that have changed music as it is known today include Michael Jackson, Johnny Cash, David Bowie, Queen, Billie Holiday, and many others. My respect for the aforementioned artists is overwhelming. These artists of the past are definitely still worth listening to.

What defines the music of today? Is there truly a way to define it vaguely? Since there is so much to listen to, everyone has their own definition of music. Personally, my definition of music revolves around one artist: Josh Groban. His talent is undenyable, and his voice is nothing short of incredible. Though I listen to all kinds of music, from classical, to rock, to pop, to country, no artist has impacted my life as much as Josh has. A great part of my decision to become a classically trained singer involved my realization that Josh took classical music and made it interesting again. He brought people of my generation into the world of classical music through the world that he creates for his fans when he sings.

Think about the important moments one has in their life. The moments we are sure to remember are usually the ones with music. My first time going to school, I learned the ABC’s. All through elementary school, I learned songs I will remember forever, such as the National Anthem, America the Beautiful, and many others. I know the theme song to my favorite movies and television shows. I know Pomp and Circumstance, I know the wedding march, and I know what song I will dance to with my husband as our first dance at my wedding.

I believe in the power of music to influence people’s lives. It is a binding force known to everyone in the world. It is beautiful, it is communicable, and it is adored. Music is something to be cherished and admired, because it has been, and will be, around forever. Years, if not decades, from now, people will still recognize Mozart and Vivaldi, and they will also recognize Michael Jackson, The Beatles, and Elvis Presley as remarkable talents. Music that is worth something lives, even when their artists or composers cease to exist on this earth, and that is truly how you define “good” music.