I believe in politeness

Zach - Western Springs, Illinois

I looked out the window and it was still raining. I had been on the computer for the last hour, and there was nothing on TV. This was a case of the common boredom. I decided to call one of my friends and ask if he wanted to go see a movie. This guy picks up the phone and bluntly says “What?” That one word made me reconsider if I wanted to go with him to the movies. I gave him another shot and asked him if he wanted to go. He replies, “No, uhhh, I got stuff to do,”. Then, he hung up before I could say bye. That made me think, ”Jeez, you could’ve been more polite about it. I believe in politeness.

It’s amazing how a few words can make all the difference in the world. There are numerous examples of this. Think about a job interview. If something is said that the employer doesn’t like, then it’s goodbye to the job. What about in the car? There are drivers everywhere who will rather honk their horn than give a friendly wave. Things like that just plainly ruin your day.

I believe in making people’s days, not ruining them. Here’s the most frequent example of this. We all walk somewhere everyday. Then, you recognize somebody that’s familiar walking by. Now, most of us would just stare through them as if they weren’t there at all. But, the polite person would say “Hi” or al least send a smile their way. It’s things like that make people feel good and more important than the Average Joe.

Another way people show politeness is how they word the things they say. If the person from the phone example had said, “No, I can’t go, but thanks for asking,”. That phrase makes me want to call and ask that person to go out to the movies again. This is clearly much better than the blunt “No”.

Being polite plays a huge part in our society today. The way someone acts leaves a lasting impression on other people. Being polite just makes life in general more pleasant. It just simply makes the world a better place.