I Believe in the Fab Four

Lise - LaGrange Park, Illinois

I Believe in the Fab Four

The dynamic duo of Paul McCartney and John Lennon once penned, “There’s nothing you can make that can’t be made. No one you can save that can’t be saved. Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time, its easy. All you need is love.” What a peculiar concept. All one needs to endure, they exclaim, besides of course food and water, is love. Or, rather, are these writers of reality suggesting that love is equivalent to water, to food?

Growing up, the Beatles were the soundtrack of my childhood. I remember one night in particular. We were eating a normal dinner on a normal weekday evening. My brother and I were too enthralled in our conversation of Pokemon or something of the nature that we failed to notice our parent’s smug expressions. Just as we were making our great escape from doing the dishes, my parents called us back. They stood there, each holding a slip of paper in their hands. Paul McCartney tickets. We were ecstatic. A few months passed and the highly anticipated day arrived. When we got to our seats, our chatting ended. The lights dimmed. We all sat at the edge of our seats, gawking at the opening act, some deejay mixing a bunch of Beatles and Wings hits. Paul finally strutted onto the stage. Silence. Suddenly, the stadium erupted in whistles, screaming, shouting, clapping, and tears. Some of the tears shed from me. I was in the same room as the Sir Paul McCartney, one of the most eminent and thriving musicians, let alone living historical figures, to this day.

I think music has the ability to change lives. The Beatles are, and always have been a safety for me. Their songs of peace, sorrow, joy, love, loneliness, help me get through the best of times and the worst of times, constantly reminding me that, no matter what period of time a person may have existed, the most complex emotions as always constant. Music has this incredible ability to bring people together in unfathomable ways. Whether singing in a group, sitting in the living room listening to it on the turn table, or jumping up and down in rhythm at a concert, music does strange and beautiful things. Although I couldn’t agree more with Paul and John’s theory of love being all one needs to live, I think they might have left something out of that equation. I believe music is a close second.