Thank You’s

Eric - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe in Thank-you’s. Sometimes the smallest things in the world mean the most, so never underestimate the power of saying thank you. Saying thank you is an example of this because even though it’s just two words, it can make somebody’s day. It is also essential for a good relationship. You never realize how important saying thank you is until somebody says it to you.

My story begins on a sunny summer afternoon; I’m working at the LFC snack bar at this time. A boy walked up, I’d say no more than 12 years old, and rudely demanded me to get him an air-head. I told him it costs a quarter, and he tossed it into the window out of my reach so I had to go pick it up. I handed him the airhead, and he grabbed it and ran off. But the next person that came up was a little girl around 8 years old. The girl handed me a dollar, and politely told me what she wanted. I got her what she wanted and handed it to her. But as she took it from me, she smiled, looked me in the eyes and said thank you. I smiled back; those two words had just made my day.

Now you may not think that a simple thank you means that much, but it can really mean a lot at the right times. For example, thank you cards after a birthday party or wedding. Receiving a thank you card that says something like “thank you for your present, I really like it!” can really make you feel good about yourself. Plus today most things are electronic, so getting a handwritten thank you card that somebody took the time to put together makes you feel good.

A study showed that 5 out of 10 people do not say thank you. Are you one of those people that don’t show gratitude towards people that do kind things for you? Just remember that next time somebody holds open a door for you, gets you a present, or simply helps you out when your not well, because you might just make that person feel great.