Good Food

Briana - La Grange, Illinois

My family takes road trips every now and then, and in order to keep moving we usually succumb to the greasy hamburgers, chicken nuggets, and fries of fast food. Sure it tastes good while you eat it, but sooner or later you’ll regret that you ever thought up the idea to just stop on the next exit for a quick bite to eat. It’s true that our generation has become dependent on fast food, mainly because it is an inexpensive meal that takes less than 3 minutes to order, pay, and receive. Unfortunately, fast food has also spread to homes. Whatever happened to a good old family dinner when you ate what your mom cooked and talked about your day? I think that people should have sit-down family meals and go to healthy restaraunts. I believe in good, healthy food.

I have had to ride in a car for many hours from Georgia to Illinois and vice versa four times. As you would expect my family and I would have to stop for meals. We would stop at the usual McDonald’s or Wendy’s so we could quickly eat and be on our way. What we didn’t realize was that we were adding way too much salt and fat into our bodies. It was inevitable that my family and I didn’t feel very well after consuming the burgers and fries. It’s very unhealthy to eat it just a few times a year, yet there are still people who have it a few times a week. I’m not saying that eating fast food three times a year is going to kill you, but I think that there are better alternatives, such as a deli or spending a little extra money on a nicer restaurant. To me, the extra money to buy a healthier and less fattening meal is well worth it. I realize that not everybody can afford a restaurant on the nicer side, but if someone can afford McDonald’s or other fast food, they can probably afford a place like Subway’s or Quizno’s. While eating that fast food on those car trips, I realized that people should not be eating it; it’s just bad for you and you don’t feel good after eating it. I rarely ever eat fast food anymore, and I’m glad because I believe in good food.