I Believe in Summer Vacation

Samuel - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe in summer vacation. The 3 month vacation that all kids start dreaming about when the weather gets warm and they are still in the classroom studying.

School is a very important part of everyone’s life. We need to go to school but we also need a break from going to school every day. That’s where summer vacation comes in, it is a great way to rejuvenate and get ready to learn more the next year. I’m sure that most teachers have seen it when a student’s grades go down the drain at the very end of the school year. And also, most students have experienced the effects of the weather changing from below freezing to the 70s and 80s and know how it makes you unable to focus as much on school work and makes you wish you had more time to hang out with friends or just sit around and be lazy instead of studying for finals and spending all your time in school. I had an especially bad case of summertime blues when I was in 6th grade. I had been getting good grades in math all year and was doing really well on tests. Then I had one more test at the end of the year and when I got into math class that day I just couldn’t concentrate on the test. I was sitting near a window and I just kept on thinking about how I wish I was on the other side of it. I left the class not knowing how I did but thinking I could easily have gotten an A or B, until I got it back the next day to see a D- in red ink. It was the longing for a break that made me fail the test. I was so glad that there was only a few weeks left of school because all of my grades were going down and I couldn’t stop them. Then I came back the next year and was able to concentrate and do well in school again.

Summer break was a great creation that I know I definitely need and I think that a lot of others do, too. The only problem is that it is never long enough.