This World is Beautiful

Ashley - Beavercreek, Ohio

Growing up, I always loved fairy tales. I could play make-believe for hours and never get bored. I honestly thought that if I wished hard enough, there really could be such a thing as the magic I read about in stories. But as much as I wanted it to, the day never came when I woke up in a miraculous land. I grew up and forgot about silly things like magic spells and fantastic creatures.

And then, something incredible happened. As soon as I stopped looking for magic in the world, I found it. It started when I was walking to the bus stop one morning. When I went to set my backpack on the ground, the dew on the grass caught my eye. Each drop was like a tiny jewel in the sunrise. I pointed it out to my sisters, but they just nodded in a bemused sort of way. At that moment I had a strange feeling of understanding. The world was beautiful, and it really was full of magic. I had just been too blind to see it this whole time.

After that morning, I wanted to find more of what I now refer to as the Magical Things. Pretty soon, I was finding them everywhere. A dandelion growing through a crack in the sidewalk; an oddly shaped rock; two fallen trees leaning against one another; the peeling paint on the side of an old building; all of these and more I found magic in. I would count them on my way to school or while I walked my dog. The number of Magical Things I found on my street alone was astounding. And the most magical thing of all was that there was always something new to marvel at. The sky never looked the same way twice; the leaves never stayed the same way for long. No matter how much magic I witnessed, there was always more.

So, sure, the world has its problems. Everyone has a bad day. Death, starvation, war–there are countless things that make life seem bleak. But there are also countless things that bring beauty to the world, if only we open our eyes and see them for what they are. Because, you see, magic does exist. This I believe.