Hunger No More

Alexandria - Syracuse, New York

Do you realize that more than a third of this country’s people are starving? The constitution should read, “No one shall ever go to sleep hungry”. I do believe it is an inalienable right to be fed at least one nutritional meal a day. I mean after all “all men were created equal” and if that be the case there should be no division between those who eat from those who do not simply because they cannot afford it.

One day when I was about 5 or 6 years old I remember riding in the car with my mother and I saw a lady sitting on the side of the street. I quickly glanced over at the woman hoping that she would not catch my eye, and noticed her frail bone structure and shabby clothing. I asked my mother why she sat aimlessly on the side of the road and why didn’t she didn’t just go home. And she politely explained that the woman was homeless. I was taken aback; at that tender age I knew that I had to do something to stop this suffering for people just like this lady.

I believe it was from this day forward that I continuously think of how grateful I am for all that I have and if I have too much food on my plate I try to save it to take to go and give to a homeless person I pass on the street. Even if I am not able to help out every person I see begging for food, I know I can show my genuine compassion one hungry person at a time.

Being a student here at Syracuse University has also led me to believe strongly in the fight for feeding all people. I have worked within the SU Food Services for three years now and I have come to realize the amount of food thrown away daily. It disturbs me because there are thousands of people who roam Syracuse streets and garbage bins trying to find that one meal for their day. I do believe there should be an alternative like an hour before closing all food service centers open their doors to the homeless so that the food doesn’t go to waste. However, when I presented this notion to my Boss he exclaimed that “there is a liability issue,” basically supporting their fact to throw away food in fear that if they give it away someone could end up sick and the blame could tarnish the school. Honestly, I believe as my grandmother always says, “the one to one’s heart is through one’s belly.” People can only benefit from a free meal a day.

Honestly, no one should ever go hungry.

Just this past summer, I took a trip to India for a month where I studied under some of the most prestigious names within the Bollywood Industry. While I travelled daily up to 4 hours round trip to and from my internship I would be approached while in my rickshaw by little children begging for food and/or money to buy food. I found this quite appalling because in the States beggars are not often associated with children. It shocked me that children at such a young age where learning “give me food”, “feed me” or “money please” before they could truly speak and understand what they were saying. I have always had a problem with children starving because it is essential that they receive the proper amount of nutrition in order to reach their full physical potential. It was hard to give into the adorable children’s demands simply because I knew that I would then we bombarded by more children who wanted the same treatment. Internally, not being able to help these kids tore me to pieces and after seeing the true state of what poverty can lead to I realized that I must be an advocate for a change.

Hunger today should not exist especially within a country where the government has the ability to print money, and distribute it at their leisure. Today money is spent so frivolously especially on occasions like paying children to get good grades in school. It is mindboggling that in today’s society there is a scarcity of resources to feed the people. The land of prosperity shall never be complete with its people starving at its feet.