I Believe in Chocolate

Bonny - LaGrange, Illinois

I Believe in Chocolate

One night I was wandering through the aisles at Dominick’s looking around, when I happened upon the dessert section. Always being a sucker for my sweet tooth I stood gazing at the dessert section for at least ten minutes just adding up all the possible combinations of sugary desserts. I reluctantly pulled my eyes away from the hundreds of boxes depicting delicious goods; after all, I had come to Dominick’s on a mission, I needed an avocado. Unwillingly I went to the vegetable section where I met up with my friends, Natalie and Connie, where they were searching for an avocado. Coincidentally we drifted towards the dessert section where I grabbed a brownie mix, shoved in their faces and asked if we could make it.

I found myself one hour later cramming down my throat one of the most delicious desserts I had ever tasted; unbaked brownie batter on chocolate ice cream smothered in Hershey’s chocolate sauce with maraschino cherries on top. Not only was that one of the best meals I’ve ever had, but it was also a new memory to forever be associated with chocolate.

After I realized what an important factor chocolate plays my life, I began to research chocolate to find its impact on history.

The earliest records of chocolate date back to 1100 BC in Honduras. Originally, the Mayans cultivated chocolate to make bitter drinks, called chocolate liquor. When the Europeans invaded the Americas the knowledge of the chocolate drink spread, and it remained a drink until the industrial revolution. In the 1700’s the chocolate bar as we know it today emerged on the markets. It didn’t stop there; continuing through time we reach the 1900’s where Roald Dahl released his renowned book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in 1964. Current day productions of chocolate are made possible by the famous Hershey’s chocolate company. Hershey’s Kisses are produced at the rate of 80 million Kisses per day. That’s roughly 29 billion Kisses per year.

Learning from the history of chocolate and its production I think it’s highly probable that we have all been affected by chocolate. I feel chocolate has a bigger impact on us than we realize. I have learned this through my experiences with chocolate, and eventually everyone will understand what I mean when I say: I believe in chocolate.