Things Happen for Reasons

Chris - Syracuse, New York
Themes: family, purpose

Things happen for reasons

I believe that all things happen for reasons. Some happenings are good while others are bad, but in the end all things have a purpose.

When I was 11 my parents sat down with my brothers and I and told us that my mom was pregnant and that another baby boy was on the way. My mom was at an age where this came as a surprise, and at first I was unsure how I felt about the situation. I liked things the way they were and didn’t want another brother.

A few days later, my mom was called into the doctor’s office and informed that her blood test had turned up positive for leukemia. As you would imagine, I was devastated and upset. I was very angry and couldn’t understand why this was happening to my family.

I was confused, and I took my frustration out on the pregnancy. I was under the mindset that none of this would have happened if my mom hadn’t told me about the baby. It was all the baby’s fault.

After awhile I came to my senses and realized that the baby hadn’t caused my mom to have cancer. In fact, it was because of the pregnancy that my mom had been to the hospital for blood work and other testing. If my little brother hadn’t come along it may have been a long time before my mom became aware of her illness.

It was because of the pregnancy that the disease had been detected early. Through the introduction of a miracle drug and god’s good grace my mom has been in remission and free of cancer for 10 years.

This among many other experiences in my life has led me to believe that all things happen for reasons. Bad things happen in life, but they may be blessings in disguise. Stay positive through the hard times, because good things are yet to come.

This I believe…