Solange - Syracuse, New York

My mother has always told me “can’t is not in your vocabulary”. When I was younger that was the most irritating sentence I’ve ever heard because my favorite sentences were I can’t read, I can’t write and I can’t memorize the multiplication tables. As I grew older, I begun to understand why this is my mother’s favorite sentence because there is nothing she can’t do. I believe that anything is possible.

My mother worked two jobs and went to school while I was in elementary school and still made dinner every night. Whenever faced with challenges she never said she couldn’t overcome them. She always had a dream of opening a daycare and at 44 years old everyone told her it was too late and I couldn’t happen. Within a year she opened a daycare and had full capacity in less than 6 months.

Everyone who doubted her was proven wrong and that inspired me because a few years later when I was applying to colleges my guidance counselor looked at my grades and said I was never going to get into Syracuse and to apply to city and community colleges. At first I was upset and believed that I couldn’t do any better than what she had told me. But my mom kept telling me that “can’t was not in my vocabulary”. After I sat down and thought about what she meant by it I decided to apply, go in for an interview and give it my all. Not only did I get accepted into Syracuse, I was also given a scholarship because of how determined I was during my interview. To this day I have never said I can’t do anything because anything is possible as long as you believe it.