I believe it’s time to become individuals.

Courtney - Clermont, Florida
Themes: equality

Something I believe is that everyone is equal, no matter what your social status is. Today’s society is about ‘Who’s who’ and ‘I’m so much much than this person'; to be honest it just really pisses me off. We’re all equal, we’re all human, and I believe everyone should see that. I just believe that no one should think of them self as higher that another person.

I feel that no matter where I go or who I’m with, I’m being judged. I know that high schools work, now days, the same way they did 10 years ago, but at the same time, girls and guys are more malicious towards others who don’t own up to their standards.

I remember ever since elementary school, I’ve been trying to own up other people’s standards. I would try to walk, talk, act, even breath like them. Then middle school came around and the kids there had different standards; then I tried to ‘fit in’ and eventually turned into a whole different person.

Now I’m in high school, I’m a senior, and I’m almost 18. I reflect on my past and realize how much wasted time was spent on trying to impress those people, who now I don’t even talk to anymore. I, like most other kids are trying to find ourselves throughout high school and I’ve come to realize in the past 2 years I’m starting to become an individual and not one in a crowd. Now the people I’m still friends with from 7th grade are the ones who were themselves to me and accepted who I was and didn’t try to make me someone else.

All that really matters is being yourself in life, not trying to be someone your not to impress others. I feel people should stop[ trying to own up to another person’s ideas of ‘normality’ and just act like them self. Life would be so much easier and stress-free as would school. I believe our generation can be the generation to show that being an individual is okay, and conforming to what the world’s standards is so last year.