I Can Fly

Jennifer - Mosca, Colorado

I believe that I can fly.

I believe that I can fly because the law of gravity says that I cannot leave the ground for more than a certain time. Well I am tired of everybody believing that flying is not possible, just because nobody has every done that before. Well, what about the people who said that we could go to the moon? What about the people who said that America could never be their own country? What about the people who said the earth is round? All of these people believed in the impossible.

Whenever I feel like flying I simply stand up and then stop having contact with the ground, or the couch, or the bed, or any object. I am unattached to every surface except for the items touching me. I simply move around like I am either swimming or walking depending on my mood. Usually I act more like I am swimming because you have more freedom.

The worst thing about flying is the landing. When you land you can feel gravity grab a hold of you and does not let go of you for the longest time. (Yes, gravity can do that.) Gravity is a cruel mean person who loves nothing more than to keep you connected to the ground. Flying is telling Gravity that anybody can do anything and nobody has the right to deny that from you.

My favorite thing to do while I am flying is to play in the clouds. The wind blowing in your face while going up, then feeling drenched with tiny microscopic droplets of water. When I am in the clouds I cannot see much farther than my hand, let alone the world going on below me. Another fun thing to do while flying is to do loops. I love getting dizzy and losing all sense of up, down, and side to side. It is also fun to fly over airplanes and see the pilots’ faces when they see me.

I believe I can fly. While everybody else on earth is listening to Gravity I have broken tradition and flown. I now officially listen to nobody. Nobody will make me anything that I do not want to do simply by flying.