Friendship is the greatest gift in life

Carla - Short Hills, New Jersey

Among the factors that have contributed to who I am today are family, life experiences, music and school, yet the most consistent impact has come from the friendships I’ve made and have today. Without even realizing it, the influence of friendship began as a kid when a friend meant someone I could rely on to play with or just sit next to at lunch. It was simple yet important to me at that age to have this sort of trust in someone. As I’ve grown up the specific examples for my need to rely on a friend have changed, but the reasoning behind remains the same. I search for those specific characteristics, like trust, that make a great friend. These continuing experiences have helped me find the meaning behind true friendship and believe in the importance it has on one’s life. All of the friends I have made have in some way or another shown this to me especially those from high school. I was originally opposed to attending my high school, I entered knowing only one other person and because of this I was convinced I wouldn’t like it. As my time went by the friends I made there proved otherwise and I know now it was the best decision. At this time in my life there is a group of 10 of us that I honestly can say are my best friends, and like any group of friends we have been through a lot together. Although there are many times together that have exemplified the strength of our friendship, there is one event specifically that really proved this to me. February of our freshman year I got a phone informing me our friend, Sam’s, sister Lauren had passed away that morning from Cystic Fibrosis which she had been diagnosed with since birth. The wake and funeral were in the middle of the following week, and despite how much everyone had going on we all made our way home. Seeing the unquestionable actions we all made to drop everything and go home for one of our friends and her family in a time of need really amazed me. We are all each others support and at this time Sam needed that from all of us. This is the strong effect friendship has whether the problem big or small. I believe friendship is the most important gift one can have and should be valued for all its worth. It provides a foundation for personal development starting at an early age and continues to be a support in many ways throughout life. Each of my friends have made contributions to who I am today and who I will become and for this I am extremely grateful.