We are our brothers keepers.

Jake - Oelwein, Iowa
Themes: Christianity

This I believe:

I believe we are our brothers keepers. Now, am I good Democrat because I believe this, or do I believe this because I’m a good Democrat?

Do I see eyebrows furrowed among my readers? Good. I have your attention.

The question of weather or not we are our brothers keepers came for the book of Genises;

“Then the LORD said to Cain, “Where is your brother Abel? I don’t know,” he replied. “Am I my brother’s keeper?”

(Oh great you may be saying to yourself. He’s crossing the forbidden line of no-no conversations by mixing politics and religion!)

I believe that those less fortunate than myself deserve help regardless of why they need it or how they found themselves in their predicament. Some may at this point label me a “bleeding heart liberal” and to them I would say, thanks. I’m not ashamed.

If we are to believe the accounts of the new testament, then we should unequivocally consider Christ himself as a liberal. Oh yes. A bleeding heart liberal. Literally.

Now, this isn’t to say that there may not be some issues that Jesus would have loved to debate in Denver at our platform committee meetings. But I think over all he would find it easier snuggling up to a party of compassionate caregivers, (not unlike those of the Democratic party), than to the party that suggest tax monies should never be wasted on those that won’t or can’t help themselves.

I believe in Luke’s biblical translation in chapter 6;

“Judge not: and you shall not be judged.

Condemn not: and you shall not be condemned.

Forgive: and you shall be forgiven.

Give: and it shall be given to you.”

I believe God wants us to be a benevolent society, even if we have to sacrifice some of our own resources to comfort those who are poor, hungry, cold, imprisoned, weak, sick or dying.

I’m not sure if these are moral values or political values but they should be both for, we are our brothers keepers. This I believe.