I believe in leadership

Ashley - Rodney, Michigan

I believe in leadership.

I’ve always been the type of person that lets someone else step up and do something, even if it was something that I wanted to do. I would always care about what other people thought of me. I was pretty much just all around insecure. I didn’t think I could change the world in any way. That was until the summer of 2007.

I joined student council in hopes of making a difference in my school. It was brought to my attention that there was a summer camp available. I heard a lot of stories about it so I decided to go. Being the person I was, of course I was nervous about going

When the day came, my dad took me to Albion College. When we got there, there were people everywhere. There were people dressed up so weird you would have thought it was wacky Wednesday, on a Sunday. After seeing this, I was pretty hesitant about leaving my dad and sister to join in on this madness. I had almost wished I could just go home with them and play guitar hero with my little sister.

I later found out that these crazy people were our camp counselors. They packed us in this church on campus, and told us the important information, like rules, etc., but instead of making it boring, the rules for camp were told through a skit done by the counselors.

We were all separated into ‘councils’ where we would experience most camp experiences with those others that were in that council. Holding up to the ‘leadership camp’ name, we did all of these exercises that tested us on so many levels and brought everyone closer. It forced you to break away and come out of your comfort zone.

Five days was all it took to change my life forever. We laughed, we cried, we got mad, an we got told to stop mattress diving half way through the night. The new friends I made are countless. The experiences I went through that week definitely changed my outlook on life. I had actually became an outgoing person.

This camp had such an impact on me that I chose to go again this past summer. With no surprise, it was amazing. It challenged us even more then we were used to and gave us an even fresher outlook on life.

There is one quote that began it all for me, and it was written by Ghandi. He said, “We must be the change we want to see in the world.”

I believe in leadership and the power kids have the change the world for the better.