moments of fear

Ethan - remus, Michigan
Themes: fear

What is fear, is it something we imagine or is it actually real? How do we control fear, how do we stop fear, these are questions I’ve asked myself and have yet to reach an answer. But if I were to try and give a definition to fear I would say that fear is a natural instinctive response to potential danger. Every one lives with fear every single day of their lives, well I want to stop living with fear and I want to really start living.

There have been several incidents in my life where I actually feared for my life and during those times I have never been more scared. Fear gripped my entire body and wouldn’t let go, it wouldn’t let me breathe, move, think, or even talk. Its like your in a slow motion world where no one can help you but yourself. It is here where you must break your fear; this is the moment where you have to control your emotions and take charge, not letting your fears over come you.

I remember when I was about 5 years old and I was at my grandma’s house. They have a pond and I was walking around the edges trying to watch frogs and what ever else I could find and I was standing on the edge of a tube that allowed water to enter into the pond. I was standing on the very end of the tube when I slipped and fell straight into the water, now being only five I wasn’t much of a summer and I sank like a rock. I remember how I felt completely helpless knowing that I couldn’t swim and that I was by myself. Little did I know my grandpa was outside working and he seen me fall and he came and pulled me out of the water. In the 30 seconds that I was in the water it seemed like a million years, I guess I was lucky to have some one watching me.

One time I was hunting by my self, way back in the middle of our property. I was going to hunt in my dad’s old tree stand, which we called the cherry stand. I got to the tree and I tied my bow to the string so that I could pull it up. I began to climb up the tree, using the steps that were nailed into the tree. When I got all the way to the bottom of the platform I reached for the next step and the one I was holding gave out and I began to fall. I was moving so slow but there was no way that I could anything to stop myself from falling. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion, and then when I hit the ground it showed me that it was very real. After taking a huge breathe and gaining my thoughts back I realized that I didn’t break anything and was ok. But those were some of the scariest seconds of my life.