Grandmas Addiction

Alex - Stanwood, Michigan
Themes: addiction, family

The story I am going to tell you about is about addiction and how I think it creates a chemical reaction in the brain which then becomes an addiction. So the story I am going to tell you about is about my family’s addiction to stuff.

My grandma was addicted to cigarettes and how she died from lung cancer. When I was little she would always smoke around me and mom hated it but at that time I was an only child and had no one to hang out with so my grandma and me always used to hang out. She used to take me everywhere and buy me everything I wanted. It was great; she was so nice. Everyone used to tell her that she needs to quit so many people told her that those things were going to kill her but she never listened to anyone. A few years later she went to the doctor for a check up and she found out that she had lung cancer and that it was really bad right after that she started having trouble breathing. One day she was doing something and fell down. My grandpa called 911 and then she went to the ER and she was in there for a week or two then she was allowed to come home.

Everything was good until it happened again.

When she was in the hospital I would come and visit her almost every day until I went into the hospital all happy to see my grandma and they wouldn’t let me in. I didn’t know why but then my Mom and Dad where behind me and I asked them why they wouldn’t let me see her and they told me that she had fallen asleep and I was like, ok, I will just wait here until she wakes up then my dad looked down at me and I didn’t understand why he was crying because they just told me that she was sleeping and told me that she wasn’t going to wake up and that she had died. After that I didn’t know what to do because she was more than just my grandma… she was my best friend

And my only friend. So that’s how I lost my grandma to an addiction.