Home-Run

Jake - Lake, Michigan
Themes: work

There were two outs with a man on second and third. We were tied with Gladwin at the Mt. Pleasant Sacred Heart baseball field. I was already 1-1 with a single in the game but we couldn’t get anything going. So I step up to the plate confident and ready to go… I’m waiting for the pitch and the first pitch I see is a fastball right down the middle and I just locked in and took an easy swing and made contact and started to run but didn’t know were the ball was. When I got to first the coach told me to relax, so I looked up and it cleared left by like 15 feet.

After that game my confidence was way up. My game sky rocketed. For the first time I really felt like I could play baseball at the next level. It was a moment that really made me think to get in gear and to prepare myself to be the best I can be. It made me work harder and do the extra little bit to maximize my game as a baseball player in whole. I believe that hard work can get you where you want to go, but you shouldn’t wait until you are 18 and already out of high school. Work is how people become successful. They don’t just have everything just given to them.

Working hard is not a belief, it’s a fact. The satisfaction of doing something right and knowing that it’s bettering you is the ultimate high. After that big homerun I knew that it was all from my hard work and what I did in the off-season. The off-season is the important time for kids. It is when they really get the benefits of all the work in the weight room and putting all that time in to working to make themselves better. Hard work is a must for any high school athlete to become successful at what they want to do and maybe lead to playing a sport beyond high school.