We Can All Be Successful

Jamie - Adrian, Michigan

I Believe

I believe we all have the ability to be successful. When I was 18 years old I was asked a question that sparked an interest inside of me. That intriguing question still makes me think to this day, and will keep me striving for new and better things, hopefully until the day I die. I applied for a job, and the interviewer asked me “what does success mean to you?”

I believe my reply, even at the age of 18 was a good one. “I think success is open to interpretation, it depends on what makes you as an individual happy.” I have come to appreciate the fact that the answer to that question “what does success mean to you” does not have a simple answer.

The formal definition of the word success according to Webster’s Dictionary And Thesaurus is an “Achievement of something intended or desired; Attaining wealth, fame, or prosperity.” How vague could a definition be? This definition is different to probably every human being in the world, and I believe should not be stereotyped.

“Something intended or desired.” what do you desire? I don’t desire money, sure without question it would make life easier, and probably prevent many arguments between my husband and I, but to many in the world success does equal money. To me at this current point, success would be teaching my stubborn six year old to tie his shoe. Do you have that same definition of success? So many people want to succeed at so many different things. Making the definition endless.

Do you want to be desired by half of America? Some would define that as success, not I. Success to me, is not monetary things that can be bought, won, or spent. Success is not being wanted by half of America, It is being desired by my husband and children, knowing they need me to complete their family, and contribute to their future as well as current state of happiness. Success is not having power, to me it’s being proud to say I created two beautiful, caring, smart little boys who have the power to melt my heart with their big brown doe eyes, or make my crappy day worth it, because I’ve made theirs better.

No one can set guide lines for what will make me happy. What gives pleasure to you, may not satisfy or soothe another’s desire and need for happiness and success. I don’t want to be successful according to how you define the word, but instead by how I do.

I believe if we all search for success according to our own personal definition, instead of using the dictionary and sadly society’s definition, we may find success is easily obtained, depending of course, on how you define the word. When I read the definition of success, happiness was not included in the description. I believe it should be, because to me, it’s the key to success. As someone who thankfully has found my own definition of success, I ask you these two questions, what makes you truly happy? What does success mean to you?