The Power of Children

Kenny - Syracuse, New York

Just a few nights ago I was sitting in my room at my desk wondering what to talk about. Many ideas came and went and I was getting really frustrated. But it was then that my brother called. We spoke for a bit and talked about how things are going but then he put my niece on the phone. Her name is Gabriella and she is just over 4 years old. All I could do was listen because she wouldn’t shut her mouth. She kept going on and on and on about anything and everything that her imagination could create. The entire time I sat there with a huge smile on my face because of how funny she was and how free spirited she is. During those few minutes nothing else mattered, homework didn’t matter, girl problems, money problems, nothing else mattered.

It was this liberating feeling I got after I hung up the phone that made me realize I believe in the power of children. I believe we should all be young at heart. It’s that sense of curiosity about the world that makes kids ask a million questions. To kids, everything is new and exciting, nothing is taken for granted. As we get older our lives become dull, repetitive, and almost predictable. Think back to when you were child playing with all the other kids using nothing but your imagination. Back then your life revolved around having fun no matter what the situation was. To us everything is what it is, to a child everything is only limited to their imagination. For example I was with my niece at a park one day and as we were walking I saw a stick on the ground and didn’t think anything of it. My niece picked that stick up and used it as a magic wand. She became a wizard right there and went into her own world where everything was possible.

I believe we can learn a lot from children’s behavior. We get so fixed on GPA’s, science and theories that we sometimes forget to live life. To be successful you need to be good at what you do. To be good at what you do you need to remember the basics. This applies to our lives. To have a happy and successful life you need to be good at how you live. To be good at how you live you need to remember the basics. We need to remember all the little things in life that make each day worth living.