Justin - Willow Springs, Illinois

I believe in music. I believe in music as a way to express oneself and one’s ideas. I believe in music as a way of communicating a message, and uniting the many peoples of the world. Throughout history, music has evolved, creating the many new and unique forms of music apparent in today’s society. The many genres that have been developed create shared interests and commonalities between many people. Through this music, messages have been communicated and ideas expressed and shared with many people around the world.

Music has had a great impact on my life as I am both a listener and musician. As I listen to many varieties of music, I often find myself interested as to what the artist intended for us to hear. I think about the message that lies beneath the rhythm and lyrics, and the mood set forth by the tone. However, listening is just one part of how music has affected my life. I play the alto saxophone in band here at LT. Throughout middle school, although I excelled at playing the saxophone, it became a tedious extra-curricular activity that I came to dread. I continued to play my instrument at LT solely because it was something I could do well. However, as freshman year progressed, I found playing my saxophone to be more interesting and fun, and as we played more difficult music I found myself even more involved in what we performed. Now as I play music, I consider the meaning the composer wishes to set forth and I aim to play each note with importance, just as the composer intended. Through playing and listening, music has had a profound impact on my everyday life. Music has become a large part of who I am and I enjoy sharing what I listen to and play with my friends and family.

Music is everywhere. Music is an important aspect of my life and I believe it is a necessity in our world. Nearly everything we do involves music, and I believe that without music, the world would be without one of the greatest forms of entertainment and expression. Music allows a unique way to display your thoughts and ideas with others. I believe music gives us all an opportunity to unite together and share what we believe.