Keeping my head up

Megan - Reisterstown, Maryland

As I was running up and down the field tired and in need of a brake I could hear my coach yell. During my field hockey games and even in practices I felt that everything I did was never good enough for my coach. Telling me to brush off what she says my team mates would help me through it. I believe that keeping my head held high even when getting yelled at for not running hard enough makes me a better player and a stronger person. Being able to brush off negative comments or a bad play is the most important part of the game. When I was younger, if a coach would yell at me for missing a goal I would take it too seriously and my performance would be off for the rest of the game. Once I learned how to take that comment and use it to make me better I could get yelled at twenty times a game and not take it too literally. I learned to take the negative comments and bad plays and turn them around to help me improve. If coach would tell me my shots were off I would realign my hips in order to get the shot on goal.

Now in college, I learned that I could use the lesson I learned while playing hockey in the class room as well. If I would get a bad grade on a quiz or paper I would learn what I did wrong and use that to my advantage. I would take the comments written on my quiz or paper and store them so the next time I don’t make the same mistake twice. I believe that once I learned how to keep my head up after being shut down, I could accomplish any goal. Keeping my head up is something I plan on using for the rest of my life. It is something that can be used at any time I receive criticism, all I have to do is turn it around to something positive. There will even be times that criticism and negative comments will come to me in the work place as well, yet I will take those comments and use them as building blocks to make me more successful. Keeping my head held high is something I feel strongly about and will continue to help me throughout my life.