The Perfect Band

Stephanie - Western Springs, Illinois

The old saying goes Practice Makes Perfect. However, I feel the more correct saying should be; Practice Makes Better. I believe that there is no such thing as perfect. Perfect is too strong of a word. Perfect means that everything has been fixed, everything is extraordinary and couldn’t be any better. Yet that’s illogical. Perfect is completely impossible to be done in the human race. We all make mistakes, and making mistakes is part of learning. But, of course, that doesn’t mean we can’t try our best, and get as close as possible to where the word perfect would finally go nicely in context.

When I was ten years old, I was in the fifth grade band at Highlands Elementary and Middle School. The fourth grade band, fifth grade band and middle school grade concert band would all play in the same concert in winter. The youngest would go first, then the us fifth graders, then finally the fantastic band of six, seventh and eighth graders. I thought they were the most wonderful band in the world. Every note was perfect, every chord was beautifully toned. When they played Pirates of the Caribbean, it pulled me away from reality throughout the entire song, and I always clapped loudest at the end. I couldn’t wait to join that band and be with those great players.

And then I did. I graduated elementary school and progressed to middle. I became part of their band, and slowly my excitement and joy ebbed away. Then I began to realize that they weren’t as good as I had anticipated. At first I didn’t know why, and then it hit me. I was gradually getting better and better until I was past their stage. I was ready to face more challenging music; that’s why they didn’t sound good anymore.

It was sad to know that the band I revered all my elementary life wasn’t actually perfect. The players in there had practiced more, and done better, and therefore were better than me. If they had been perfect, they would have been better than the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. However, they were better. And every year, I got better along with them. That is what I believe. There is no perfect in life, but there’s no harm in getting closer to it.