Nothing is Free

Cory - Portsmouth, Virginia

Not everyone in this world believes in the same things. We were all created for a specific purpose in God’s own image. Seeing as though we all have the ability to think and act as we please, we can choose to believe in whatever we so desire. In my life I go with the flow on most things, but there are things that I believe in that will never change or be altered. For instance, I believe that everyone should have to work for what he or she gets in this world. One man shouldn’t do all the work for everyone else around him to receive equal benefits.

This belief first came to me when I was in elementary school studying Jamestown and the new civilization in America. A man named John Smith realized that only a few men were all of the hunting, fishing, farming, and yet everyone was reaping the benefits of these few men’s hard work. So Smith decided to take action. He made it very clear to everyone that that if you don’t pull your weight then you wouldn’t eat. This got everyone’s attention quickly. Once he made this statement he noticed a drastic change in the workload that everyone took on. Things in America today haven’t carried over from the principles of Jamestown.

We are now supporting those people who don’t work and have four or five children. Instead of making these worthless individuals get off the couch and get a job, we provide them with expenses to care for their children that they immaturely had. I wouldn’t have a problem with this if the person had a disability or couldn’t physically work. But instead, we are allowing perfectly functional Americans to sit around the house all day long while others are out working to make an honest living. Then those out there working hard have to turn around and pay the government way too many taxes in order to help provide for those lazy individuals who can’t seem to get off the couch. I just don’t think it is fair that one man has to work hard to provide for his wife and kids and then also support some strangers and their countless children because they think that they don’t have to work. They would just rather sit back and let everything be handed to them on a silver platter. It is my belief, along with many others, that everyone should have to work for everything he or she gets in life. Our government, however, does not send that same message.

What will a person learn if everything in life is just handed to them? If one day, the “freebies” were to stop, many people would not know how to survive. I have learned that lesson myself these last three weeks at Shenandoah University. My whole life I have relied on my mom and dad for everything in life. I rarely did anything for myself. Everyone always told me that I would be in trouble once college rolled around and I had to move out on my own and I never believed them. I always told them that I would be fine, but I was wrong. I don’t necessarily struggle doing things on my own but it is just a matter of getting up and doing them that is difficult for me. For example, my mom always did my laundry so whenever I wanted to wear something it was always clean for me, but now I have to do it on my own and I am still trying to get the hang of it. This brings me back to my belief, if someone doesn’t do stuff for themselves for the longest time, they will struggle to survive in the real world. So if you don’t take anything from this essay, I hope that you take this: work hard for what you get because the reward and pride that comes in reaping the benefits of your own work is the best feeling in the world.