Living in the present

Geena - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in living in the present. I think it’s really important to let go of past mistakes and embrace the future. Although we should learn from the past I think too many people waste time dwelling on it. We have all made choices that we wish we could take back but we can’t. In my opinion, you only live once, so what good is wasting valuable time regretting prior decisions and times? As hard as it is, I think people need to focus more on what is happening in the present than what already occurred in the past.

I have so many great memories that I love to look back on, but I dislike looking at past mistakes I’ve made. I think it brings you down. Looking back on the mistakes I’ve makes me upset. I feel that life should be carefree, there’s not enough time to be anything but happy. Some people are so caught up in the past; they can’t realize all the good things happening around them.

I think that my belief comes up in so many instances. One example is golf. Although the hole you just played isn’t that far behind you, it’s in the past. It is up to you to forget the last hole and play the ones to come as their own. I love golf because it gives me the chance to treat each hole as a new one and forget the past ones.

Living in the present also pertains to my day to day life. Each day is a new day. I believe if yesterday was a bad day for you it’s up to you to make today a good one. Life isn’t always going to go the way you want it to, but I feel you just have to take everything as it comes. If you don’t like a decision you made you should deal with it in a positive way not think about how stupid it was.

In conclusion, I think the past is very important because we learn so much from it. Without learning from the past we would make the same mistakes all over again. I think Buddha presents this point very well: “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” That is why I believe in living in the present.